help-debbugs

Some issues with debbugs.gnu.org mail lists and archives

From: Ignacio Casso
Subject: Some issues with debbugs.gnu.org mail lists and archives
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 19:14:34 +0200

Hello,

Recently I faced the issue of replying to an email in a debbugs thread
that was not in my inbox (because I had deleted it, but the same could
have happen if I wanted to join a discussion from which I was not part
of at the beginning). Since I don't know much about email threads and
lists I gave up and just wrote to 54399@debbugs.gnu.org, the thread in
question. My message would not be in the exact place I wanted in the
thread tree, but for that particular message that was not much of an
issue.

However, now that I try to browse the debbugs archive for that thread at
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54399, I see that only the
original first branch of that thread appears. The new one originated by
the new email I've talked about is not there, although it appears in the
mbox file that can be downloaded from that page, and also if you search
for the thread in Emacs with M-x gnus-read-ephemeral-emacs-bug-group. Is
this normal? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I would also like to suggest to include in
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=XXXXX, for each message, a
link to reply it, as other mail list archives do, for example org-mode's
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/). Or maybe document
somewhere how it could be done.

Best regards,

Ignacio