health

Re: [Health] [HEALTH] Problems with importing translation files in a VBo

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] [HEALTH] Problems with importing translation files in a VBox installation
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:26:48 -0500

Dear Kostis
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:29:03 +0300
Kostis Mousafiris <address@hidden> wrote:

> I downloaded the appropriate GNU Health file for a virtualbox
> installation (OpenSUSE) and installed it successfully in my laptop.
> I now intend to run a presentation about GNU Health and would like to
> import the Greek translation files into it.
Please notice that the official installation instructions are for the
GNU Health installer (gnuhealth_install.sh).

Different Operating System / Linux Distros install GNU Health in
different places. We recommend the standard GNU Health installation,
but if you feel more comfortable using packages, go for it :) Axel
Braun is the package maintainer of OpenSUSE , and he knows well that
OS.

> So, I followed the instruction I found in the wikibook
> (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_Health/Localization).
> The problem is that I found those guidelines very vague and imprecise
> and so, I failed, despite repeated attempts.
> More in detail, I followed the steps exactly as they are described in
> the wikibook:
>
> 1) I declared and *made translatable* my language in Tryton
> (Administration -> Localization -> Languages)
>
> 2) I downloaded the Greek translation file and for every specific
> resource from Transifex
> <http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/GNU_Health>
>
> 3) The next step which is presumably a critical one, literally says:
> > Place the file under the *locale/* directory of your module, with
> > the name matching the language code.
> Of course, it is NOT at all clear where exactly the locale directory
> is located and it took me ages to come to the conclusion that I had:
Again, it seems a package related issue for that specific OS.

The standard installation has the "locale" directory as a subdirectory
of each module . For instance
The Socioeconomics module has the "locale" directory on
 health_socioeconomics/locale

>     a) to make folders with exactly the same name as the original
> ones in the programme, create subfolders with the name "locale" and
> finally adjust the
>         name of each .po file to be exactly the same as in the
> original files of the languages included in the default installation.
> And all this had to be done with
>         root permissions!
The standard official installation uses the "gnuhealth" user.

>     b) Then, copy and paste all the created folders and subfolders to
> the path: *usr/lib/python2.7/sitepackages/trytond/modules **
> *
> I then followed step 4) Change user preferences to my new language
> (Greek) and timezone
>
> Finally, I logged out and stopped the Tryton server. Finally, we come
> to the final and most decisive step:
> >
> >   * *Update your module* with the command : ./trytond
> >     --update=health_icd10 --database=gnuhealth_demo_generic
> >
> Now, this is again VERY UNCLEAR! Where EXACTLY should I go to locate
> eachone of these modules, in order to update them ???
> Back to the same path as the one I stated before?? I would be
> obbliged if anybody could offer some advice!
I think that the main problem you are facing is mixing two different
installation procedures.
Using this installation, there are aliases that make your life as an
administrator easy, so typing "cdexe" from your gnuhealth user, it will
take you directly to the directory where you can execute the update as
depicted on the installation guide.

> All in all, it's a very tortuous and complicated procedure which,
> apart from being difficult in itself, it is impossible to expect an
> average normal user
> to be able to do all this in order just to import the translation
> files!! I really think there should be a much more understandable,
> automated and simplified solution to this! Just my two cents  :-)
Try the installation following the official installation instructions,
and please don't hesitate to report any issues you find. We'll be happy
to help you installing the Greek language files.

If you follow the installation guide [1] from the very beginning, you
should be able to install GNU Health and install your language.

I am positive there is plenty of room for improvement of the
documentation, and we appreciate your feedback and contribution to make
it better !

> Friendly greetings from Greece
All the best from Jamaica !

1.- GNU Health Installation Guide :
http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=GNU_Health/Installation

--
Luis Falcon
GNU Health : The Free Health and Hospital Information System