gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:22:39 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

Thank you for your help.

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 16:40, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
> zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> I think you should unset GUILE_LOAD_PATH and GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH as
> you’re working in an environment anyway.

Ok.
I have unset and also tried with --pure and --container.
No effect.

> … that’s likely due to ABI change in Guix.  Have you cleared all .go
> files?  Do you still get this when GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH and
> GUILE_LOAD_PATH are unset?

All .go where ?
In the GWL checkout, yes. It was the first thing I tried. :-)
Otherwise, no I have not cleared any .go files. Which ones I need to clear?

>From my understanding, the issue comes from: GWL compiles with
/gnu/store/9alic3caqhay3h8mx4iihpmyj6ymqpcx-guile-2.2.4/bin/guile

But GWL needs guix modules and these modules have been compiled with
another Guile, I guess.
/gnu/store/r658y3cgpnf99nxjxqgjiaizx20ac4k0-guile-2.2.4/bin/guile

And the ABI issue perhaps comes from that.

So, I removed the Guix modules installed (e.g. with guix environment
gwl) and then I reinstalled them. Now, it seems to work. \o/

Well, if I understand well, because I am running Guix on a foreign
distro, there is a "big dance" with the Guix modules. Somehow, it is
similar with one emacs-guix issue on non full GuixSystem explained in
the second part of this message [1].
You proposed something here [2] but to be honest I have not tried yet
because my mind is not clear about all that.

If it is the similar issue than the emacs-guix one, we need to propose
or document the issue because it is tricky.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-01/msg00020.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-01/msg00041.html

Well, now I can play again with the GWL. ;-)

Thank you again.

All the best,
simon