gwl-devel

Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [gwl-devel] `--run=simple` error ?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 22:05:45 +0100

Hi Pjotr,

> You can run a container in a freshly compiled source tree. I do that
> all the time. I don't normally use guix pull. Example using a D compiler
>
>   ~/guix-master/pre-inst-env guix environment -C guix --ad-hoc ldc clang llvm
> unzip gdb ncurses vim git make cmake which less tzdata binutils
>   rm -rf CMakeFiles CMakeCache.txt
>   cmake .
>   make clean
>   make -j 24

Thank you for the trick.
I will use more containers. ;-)

However, the issue is now how to ./configure Guix and one also needs
to turn on container support (root privileges).
And say it is maybe not the most friendly. :-) I mean it is the hacker
solution (and yes they know how to choose their friend ;-)

Well, even I am still confused.

Which guix modules are going to the container ?
    a) the ones from the package guix in the checkout
or b) the ones of the checkout itself.
And is it the guix modules or only its dependencies? (guile, autotools, etc.)

And idem if you run instead:
~/guix-master/pre-inst-env guix environment -C gwl --ad-hoc some other tools
or any other package that depends on Guix.

Cheers,
simon