guix-science

Re: Guix for Embedded, Hardware, Documentation, and Data

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Re: Guix for Embedded, Hardware, Documentation, and Data
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 08:20:53 -0500

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

I would say actually
running Guix on any of this small hardware is outside of the scope of
Guix.

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@cnrs.fr> writes:

Guix the software distribution: it depends. I doubt you would have much success with submitting a pull request for adding video clips, for
example.

These are good points, thanks. I was not thinking of trying to run Guix on embedded hardware without the GNU operation system, though, or of trying to add large media files to Guix proper.

I was mostly curious about using Guix as a universal package manager for organizing and distributing code and data, especially for reproducible science, and I was wondering for which cases it would not make sense to use Guix.

For example, after a researcher publishes a paper, years later someone may want exact versions of the experimental data, analysis software, and documentation referenced in the paper. They may also want the exact version of the experimental rig used to collect the data, the software, hardware, and firmware, and the exact version of the development environments used to create each one. Guix seems ideal for this, especially if the code and data are in text files rather than large binaries.

The packages you all told me about, like the sicp book, give me clues about how I might try packaging something like circuit board files. I will give it a try, thanks!

For a nice example of using Guix for something else than software, see
this blog post:

  https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2021/reproducible-data-processing-pipelines/

The guix.gnu.org site appears to be down right now, but I look forward to reading this when it is available again.