guix-devel

Re: guix lint should support overrides

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: guix lint should support overrides
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 10:43:11 -0700

On 2022-09-05, zimoun wrote:
> On mer., 24 août 2022 at 14:06, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Maybe something like:
>>
>> (define-public thispackages
>>   (package
>>    (name "thispackages"
>>    (lint-overides
>>     (list
>>         ;; The upstream name is actually "This Packages", not a typo.
>>         "typo in description: 'This Packages' should be 'This Package'"))
>>
>> And then guix lint would hide or ignore things that would otherwise emit
>> the strings listed in lint-overrides ... or something like that. Maybe
>> exact match, maybe get into a little pattern matching, not
>> sure. Implementation is not my strong point here. :)
>
> Well, it is possible to turn off one specific checker for one package;
> using the ’properties’ field.  However, this “overides” requires more
> work. :-)

Though a single checker may check multiple things, and only get some of
them "wrong"; seems it would be worth having granularity for individual
checks.

> Basically, the wish is for description and synopsis and mainly for typo,
> right?

No, it seems odd to me to restrict this to particular categories of
checks. I would say any specific lint check might have cases where it is
not practical to fix the lint check, yet is not appropriate for a
particular package.

live well,
  vagrant