guix-devel

Re: cloud-init?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: cloud-init?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 15:45:04 +0200

Hello!

David Dashyan <mail@davie.li> skribis:

> I've been interested in adding cloud-init support for a while already.
> It would make Guix much easier to use in a cloud setting.  I did ask
> people weather anyone is interested in it couple of times in #guix and
> also mentioned it on the mailing list couple of times.  People didn't
> seem to express much interest but once they have it they'll like it a
> lot I think :) It is common practice to spawn other distro type and turn
> it into Guix or install Guix on it and do "guix system init" on mounted
> volume and then swap them.  Not to mention the fact that every now and
> then there is a new question on running Guix on some other vendor.  Guix
> deploy was made exactly for that in mind, wasn't it?

Yes!  It may be that the intersection of cloud/devops people and Guix
people is still too small (for one, I know ‘guix deploy’ but I’m just
discovering ‘cloud-init’), but work in this area would be very welcome,
precisely so Guix can become more useful in this area.  It’s a
chicken-and-egg problem that you can help address.  :-)

Would it be an option to add a ‘guix deploy’ backend for cloud-init?
There are currently two backends under gnu/machine/*.scm.  This would
add a third one that uses cloud-init to perform deployment.

Does that make sense?

If there’s interest in it, I’m happy to provide guidance for the code.

Thanks,
Ludo’.