guix-devel

How to find binaries in libexec dir?

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: How to find binaries in libexec dir?
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:21:50 -0700

Diffoscope uses *lots* of optional tools for which it would be
impractical to embed all the tool references in the guix
packaging... instead, for the most part, diffoscope relies on PATH to
find helper utilities to decode various file formats into something more
human readable...

But libxmlb ships the xb-tool binary in libexec, which diffoscope cannot
find on guix. For Debian, diffoscope just basically adds the
corresponding directory to PATH, and it's basically a single directory,
but I'm not sure how I'd do that with guix ...

How do I find all the potential libexec dirs that a user might have in a
given environment? On Guix System, I'll likely have at least the system
profile's libexec, the user's libexec, but as soon as you start using
guix shell, guix shell --container, or source multiple profiles, it's
hard to know where would be "reasonable" to look.

A workaround would be to adjust the libxmlb package so that xb-tool is
also in PATH somehow, but maybe this is bad form?

live well,
  vagrant