guix-devel

Re: What’s next?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: What’s next?
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 22:24:21 +0200

Hi,

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> skribis:

> 1) Make the core parts of Guix reproducible
>
> Many core parts of Guix are not reproducible.  If more core parts of
> Guix were reproducible it would benefit all Guix users.
>
> There are several core parts of Guix that are not reproducible
> including:
>
> * Linux-libre
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/24028#2
>   Note: I like what the Linux-libre project is doing.
>       This is likely a result of Linux not being reproducible.
>
> * Many guix-*
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48487#0
>
> * Guile
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48490#0
>
> * nss 3.59 on the master branch
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/40316#5
>
> * Emacs
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/35085#7
>   Note: A good text editor is important.
>         nvi, vim and neovim are reproducible for me.
>       Emacs is more than a text editor and that is a part of why it is
>         not reproducible.

All these are great (apart from the Guile and guix-* ones, which are
“known” issues).  I think it takes investigation, to pinpoint the source
of non-determinism, and also checking what other distros do, possibly
asking on the <rb-general@lists.reproducible-builds.org>.

> 2) Alternative kernel

[...]

> It is great that work is already underway to get Guix to run on the Gnu
> Hurd microkernel.

Yup!  Help welcome on this front, too.  :-)

> I think the design concept of a microkernel make them  more resistant to
> the problem of increasing complexity at the kernel level when compared
> to monolithic kernels.  With microkernels the increased complexity is
> pushes out to user processes.  This allows the user (or their operating
> system) to choose the level of complexity.
>
> <http://www.microkernel.info/> is a listing of microkernel projects.

Note that once you have a microkernel, you have next to nothing, by
definition.  The Hurd (+ libc) provides everything you need to provide a
POSIX personality.

Thanks,
Ludo’.