guix-devel

Re: Bringing substitutes from the Guix Build Coordinator to users

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Bringing substitutes from the Guix Build Coordinator to users
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 18:24:41 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> That all sounds like a plan!
>
> Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> skribis:
>
>> There's a few intertangled things, but the main question is, if bayfront
>> can be a source of substitutes, what's the path to actually have that
>> benefit users?
>
> One way it’ll benefit everyone is by feeding build/reproducibility data
> to the Data Service.
>
> Another way can be by advertising bayfront.guix.gnu.org to “insiders”
> (that is, maybe we won’t put it in the manual, but we can suggest this
> option to people reading this list etc.)
>
> Thoughts?

I guess my question was maybe too vague, I was thinking about getting
substitutes served from bayfront to users, and the benefit coming from
that.

In my mind, this would ideally include users who want to enable
substitutes, but don't know much more than that. I've started looking at
the changes this would involve [1].

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48435

If there's effort put in to getting substitutes served from bayfront,
why do you suggest not documenting how to get those substitutes in the
manual?