guix-devel

Re: Bringing substitutes from the Guix Build Coordinator to users

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Bringing substitutes from the Guix Build Coordinator to users
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 20:38:36 +0200

Hello Chris,

Am Sat, May 01, 2021 at 07:56:05PM +0100 schrieb Christopher Baines:
> I think there are some benefits for using the Guix Build Coordinator to
> build things for substitutes, and it would be good to work out how to
> get those benefits to users of Guix generally.

my question is a bit tangential, but how can we get the substitutes that
the build coordinator puts on bayfront? I still have bayfront.guix.info
in my list of substitute servers, but does it use the same signing key
as before? It would be nice to document what a user should do. In my
opinion, a second build farm would be a useful thing, in case one server
goes down, or needs to be updated, for instance. (And then it allows for
reproducibility checks.)

Relatedly, and this may already be documented: How do I know where the
packages are downloaded from?
$ guix package -u
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bayfront.guix.info'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
 imagemagick-6.9.12-4-doc  4.6MiB                    1.6MiB/s 00:01 [#####
       ]  32.5%
Before the print format overhaul, the full URL would be printed.

Does the guix daemon complain when substitute URLs do not match any
authorised key?

I know this should probably go to help-guix, but my questions fit the thread ;-)

Andreas