guix-devel

Re: “guix gc”, auto gcroots, cluster deployments

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: “guix gc”, auto gcroots, cluster deployments
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 18:23:08 +0200

Hi Roel,

Maybe I'm making things needlessly complex, but I would really like a
solution that can be applied to an existing cluster setup. :)

Oh, I’d also like something automated that works for an existing cluster setup (like mine that prompted this conversation), but in my imagination this does not involve users running commands that would become part of the permanent Guix command line footprint.

Instead I imagine a sysadmin would have enough privileges to impersonate the users and rewrite the links for them.

Full automation is not possible in my case anyway, because I can’t necessarily tell who owns the target file (it’s not just user home directories but also some other obscurely named shared directories), nor can I figure out automatically on which server the link was created (when I see a link like “/local/foo/bar”, which is a server-local directory that is not exported on any other system).

Even though the two of us seem to agree that this change is necessary, it does result in a regression: for systems where none of this is a problem (e.g. single-user laptops) it’s rather inconvenient to have all these temporary gcroots accumulate. Prior to my proposed change they would be freed up for garbage collection as soon as the link was removed.

(I also wonder if the implementation of “guix gc --delete-generations” would need adjusting; I haven’t looked yet.)

Is there something we can do to have our cake and eat it too?

--
Ricardo