guix-devel

Re: “guix gc”, auto gcroots, cluster deployments

From: Sébastien Lerique
Subject: Re: “guix gc”, auto gcroots, cluster deployments
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 22:40:28 +0900

Hi Ricardo, all,

On 10 May 2021 at 18:59, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

On my cluster installation I ran “guix gc --list-dead” out of curiosity. When finding roots, the daemon also removes what it considers stale links. On my cluster installation not all links always resolve, because the target files reside on remote file systems. These remote locations are not readable by the root user on the server where guix-daemon runs (ignoring local root privileges is pretty common for NFS servers), so they cannot possibly be
resolved.

Please excuse my hijacking this thread: I have been trying out configurations to get Guix working on the cluster I have access to, without root access for the daemon, and one problem I ran into is a curious bug when the store is on an NFS share. See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-science/2021-03/msg00010.html (Case 3).

In your setup, is the store on an NFS share? If so, did you do anything special to get that working?

Best,
Sébastien