guix-devel

Re: “guix gc”, auto gcroots, cluster deployments

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: “guix gc”, auto gcroots, cluster deployments
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 13:59:23 +0200

Hi Roel,

thanks for your feedback!

Would it be possible to add an option to retrospectively apply this
transformation?  Maybe that could work somewhat like this:

$ ls -lha
... /home/me/projects/mrg1_chipseq/.guix-profile-1-link ->
/gnu/store/ap0vrfxjdj57iqdapg8q83l4f7aylqzm-profile

This wouldn’t work, because we can’t read /home/me/projects/mrg1_chipseq/.guix-profile-1-link centrally. In this particular case only the user “me” could resolve the link and thus migrate the link. (I would do this semi-manually by impersonating the users to read their links.)

~ ~ ~

Another related problem I found is that the names of the links in unreadable space may have names that only make sense on the system where they were created. For example, on the server “beast” we may mount the cluster home directory as “/clusterhome/me”, whereas on cluster nodes it would be mounted as “/home/me”. When I have Guix record a gcroot while working on “beast” I would get a link that is no longer valid when I work on the cluster.

--
Ricardo