guix-devel

Re: linux-libre source tarballs

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: linux-libre source tarballs
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 13:13:15 -0400

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 01:39:54PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> You don't have to clone anything.  If all you want is a tarball, use
> 'git archive --remote'.

Thanks, I didn't know about this feature. Is the tarball generation
"stable" across Git releases? Or is it subject to change? We had this
issue with Git archive creation in the past.

> Is it correct to assume that they have never reached you?  Would you
> like to have a look and let me know whether they make sense to you?  I'd
> be glad to dig them up and share them with you, if so, and to take your
> feedback towards making them available to the public at large.

Personally, as a non-maintainer, I'd prefer to preserve the status quo
of our linux-libre packaging. If the maintainers decide that it should
be changed, I'll follow their decision.