guix-devel

Re: linux-libre source tarballs

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: linux-libre source tarballs
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 21:57:36 +0200

Hello,

>> Not knowing exactly how ci.guix.gnu.org works, would it make sense to
>> create a tarball package instead of the ... computed origin(?) tarball,
>> so it could be better represented in the package dependency graph, and
>> the various linux-libre-* packages can wait till it is available rather
>> than all trying to recreate the same thing?
>
> If I understand correctly, this was recently fixed in Cuirass:
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-cuirass.git/commit/?id=d1a95e8b33b454a45bda506a22a8b9d9d2c8b16e

With the recent Cuirass commits, the notion of build dependencies have
been introduced. If you have a look to this page:
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/497096/details, you will see that the
"git" build won't start until all the other builds it depends are
successfully completed (xmlto, subversion, tk ...).

The problem with linux-libre and a few other packages is that some of
the derivations they depend do not correspond to proper packages that
are identified and built by Cuirass. You will see here:
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/512266/details that linux-libre has no
build dependencies.

If we could translate the computed origin method into a package, I think
it could solve this issue. I also noticed a similar issue with
ublock-origin and the make-chromium-extension method.

Thanks,

Mathieu