guix-devel

Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 21:56:56 +0200

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 07:40:36PM +0200, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> I trust that it is the case, but being the devil's advocate, I could
> argue that from reading this thread does not make it obvious.  Maybe the
> decision process should be made more transparent?

Let's not make this a big thing. I am not a core committer - don't
want to be one. What I know is that commit rights are given to people
who are expected to play by the rules of the project.

Is that hard to understand?

When someone does not play by the rules and is unapologetic - and it
happens multiple times - it is completely justified to take away those
rights.

Being a core committer is *not* a badge of honour. It does not give
special privileges beyond what is expected. It does not give you
money, a degree or a knighthood. It only allows you to push code
directly where it interferes with the work of others :)

Everyone will be *happy* to give the commit rights again, provided the
person plays by the rules.

Pj.