guix-devel

Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 14:48:37 -0400

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 12:05:36AM -0400, Raghav Gururajan wrote:
>> Okay, I was able to retrace. When Leo and I were working outside savannah,
>> there was master --> core-updates merge. Leo made these changes when he
>> committed to his repo
>> (https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2021-03-26.log#000811), from which I pulled
>> then format-patched and sent it to guix-patches
>> (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42958#64). From guix-patches it was then pushed
>> to core-updates (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42958#67), from where I
>> cherry-picked into wip-gnome.
>
> Mark,
>
> Do you know if the security fixes under discussion are necessary on
> core-updates?

The 'cairo' fixes are certainly still needed, because there has been no
upstream stable release of 'cairo' since the version (1.16.0) on our
'master' branch.

宋文武 proposed a patch to re-apply the fixes on 'core-updates', here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-04/msg00361.html

A similar patch will be needed for 'wip-gnome' as well.

I'm not sure about the other packages off-hand, but both 'glib' and
'gdk-pixbuf' were ultimately updated to newer versions, so I guess it's
likely that they're okay (although I haven't verified this).

      Thanks,
        Mark

--
Support Richard Stallman against the vicious misinformation campaign
against him and the FSF.  See <https://stallmansupport.org> for more.