guix-devel

Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 13:21:11 -0400

Hi Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan <rg@raghavgururajan.name> writes:

> Okay, I was able to retrace. When Leo and I were working outside
> savannah, there was master --> core-updates merge. Leo made these
> changes when he committed to his repo
> (https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2021-03-26.log#000811), from which I
> pulled then format-patched and sent it to guix-patches
> (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42958#64). From guix-patches it was then
> pushed to core-updates (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42958#67), from
> where I cherry-picked into wip-gnome.

Thank you for these links.  From the IRC log cited above, it now appears
that Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> bears primary responsibility
for these mistakes.  In particular, according to the IRC
logs, Léo wrote:

  <lle-bout> raghavgururajan: the main issues on the rebasing were about
  security fixes on cairo, gdk-pixbuf and glib
  <lle-bout> I modified the cosmetic commits to remove the graft and
  patches etc.

  <https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2021-03-26.log#000950>

> It seems Leo made these for ungrafting. I not familiar with ungrafting,
> so I have to let Leo explain.

Yes, I would very much like to hear an explanation from Léo about how
this happened.

Nonetheless, you (Raghav) also bear some responsibility for digitally
signing and pushing these misleading commits to the 'wip-gnome' branch.
At least one of the problems (the misleading summary line) should have
been obvious from a cursory glance at the commit log.

      Mark

--
Support Richard Stallman against the vicious misinformation campaign
against him and the FSF.  See <https://stallmansupport.org> for more.