guix-devel

Re: GIT_EXEC_PATH Re: 1.2.1 pre-release testing

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: GIT_EXEC_PATH Re: 1.2.1 pre-release testing
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 13:24:51 -0400

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 01:35:45PM +0200, François wrote:
> GIT_EXEC_PATH is very probably at fault.
>
> It is set via profile to allow to use git subcommands installed by other
> packages but it has no sane default when we are outside a profile.
>
> Perhaps git should have a wrapper to manage this use-case.

I think it does work properly in Guix, but requires the user to log in
again after installing Git. That's because a lot of Guix stuff is set up
in the login shell initialization scripts. It might even be enough to do
`bash --login` after installing the package.

I guess that many of us install Git right away, so we don't notice a
problem.