guix-devel

Re: 1.2.1 pre-release testing

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: 1.2.1 pre-release testing
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 01:43:33 -0400

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 10:40:55PM -0500, jcguu95 wrote:
> First time posting here. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks for your report!

>    I chose the graphical method for the first installation. Everything
>    went well, except my wired internet connection failed as it
>    indicated. Weirdly enough, my ethernet cable has been always on my
>    machine for a while, and never failed. Anyway, I managed to get wifi
>    working, and that helped complete my installation process.

I wonder, can anyone else reproduce the wired connection failure? It
worked for me with the graphical installer. It would be a shame to
release with a bug that breaks wired connections in the installer.

>    2.1. Better support for using git during installation process?
>
>    Before `guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt', I'd like to getch
>    config.scm from my github repo. So I ran `guix package -i git'. But
>    when I `git clone ...' as usual, there's an error "git:
>    'remote-https' is not a git command .See 'git --help'".
>
>    What's going on? Why does `git clone' fails when I'm installing guix
>    system?

Weird, we need to look into that. I wonder if it's related to
'$GIT_SSL_CAINFO'? Or something else about find the X.509 certificates?
Check here for more info on that:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/X_002e509-Certificates.html

I also found some suggestions regarding $GIT_EXEC_PATH needing to be
set.

It would be nice to somehow offer "fetch a remote config.scm" within the
graphical installer. Something for 1.3.0, I suppose!

>    After running `guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt' for 5 to 10
>    minutes, I got the error
>
>    ,----
>    |    substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'...
> 0.0%guix substitute: error: TSL error in procedure 'write_to_session_port':
> Resource temporarily unavailable, try again.
>    |    guix system: error:
> `/gnu/store/1nmwil4cs...vc2p-guix-1.2.0-21.4dff6ec/bin/guix substitute` died
> unexpectedly
>    |    root@gnu ~# _
>    `----
>
>    Retrying it did resolve the problem. And I got a working guix system
>    out of it :)

Hm :/ I hope it doesn't happen too often. I wonder how we can debug
this?