guix-devel

Re: imagemagick@6.9.11-48 to graft or not to graft with 6.9.12-2

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: imagemagick@6.9.11-48 to graft or not to graft with 6.9.12-2
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:45:12 -0400

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 03:38:02PM +0100, Léo Le Bouter wrote:
> For this, the problem is not grafting but that the replacement package
> definition has been made public, this is an "issue" (?) that is known
> and I try to not make replacement package definitions public now.

The replacement should be public in this case. We want people to get the
updated ImageMagick when they do `guix install imagemagick`.

> > Caeterum censeo:
> > The real fix is probably to do less grafts and more rebuilds...
>
> Agreed, I would really like a security-updates branch for that, with
> which we can buffer changes waiting for substitutes and then merge with
> master, but I am afraid this enters in conflict with people not having
> lots of bandwidth to download a new world again through substitutes or
> very powerful machines for those who don't use substitutes.

We should definitely try to rebuild more often, but currently we are
only able to do this for x86_64 and i686. We also support ARM, and we
have to balance these different priorities somehow.