guix-devel

Re: imagemagick@6.9.11-48 to graft or not to graft with 6.9.12-2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: imagemagick@6.9.11-48 to graft or not to graft with 6.9.12-2
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 15:07:58 +0100

Hi,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:
>> And please let us agree that in the future, we only backport fixes in grafts
>> and do not update version numbers.
>
> I agree that in this particular case, that's what should have been done,
> and that we should still try to do it.  It will be several days at least
> before I'm able to look at it, though.  Would someone else like to try?
>
> I also agree that in general, we should be more careful to check for ABI
> compatibility before grafting.

More specifically, for libraries, we should only ever use replacements
that are ABI-compatible.  (That usually means that the major and minor
version numbers are the same, which may be what Andreas had in mind.)
Anything else is most likely broken.

For command-line tools, I think we should only graft with replacements
that are backward-compatible at the CLI level.  That requires manual
review of the changes, I guess.

Thanks,
Ludo’.