guix-devel

Re: Release 1.2.1: zstd 1.4.4 -> 1.4.9: grafting or core-updates?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Release 1.2.1: zstd 1.4.4 -> 1.4.9: grafting or core-updates?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 19:19:53 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 18:56, Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 05:34:34PM +0100, zimoun wrote:
> > The question is: should the next release 1.2.1 contain zstd@1.4.9 as
> > graft?  Or do we revert the commit and simply fix it on core-updates
> > and wait for the next core-updates cycle.  Personally, I am in favor
> > of the latter.  WDYT?
>
> The release should not contain any grafts, if we can help it.
>
> On the wip-next-release branch, I've simply updated zstd to 1.4.9:

I guess that it will not build for i686.  Does it?
If not, the patch attached to the previous email tweaks the offending
test; as the original author of zstd has suggested:

<https://github.com/facebook/zstd/issues/2528#issuecomment-794704882>

(Thanks to the other Leo for opening the issue.)

Well, I am confused.  If the update of zstd from 1.4.4 to 1.4.9 does
not imply a huge rebuild, why is it a graft?  And not a simple update?

Cheers,
simon