guix-devel

Re: Release 1.2.1: zstd 1.4.4 -> 1.4.9: grafting or core-updates?

From: Léo Le Bouter
Subject: Re: Release 1.2.1: zstd 1.4.4 -> 1.4.9: grafting or core-updates?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 19:08:02 +0100

On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 13:55 -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> I do agree that updating this program 5 versions in a graft was
> perhaps
> too much.
>
> We should always try to cherry-pick bug-fix patches when grafting.
>
> Otherwise the risk of breakage is too high. At least, these types of
> patches should be reviewed on guix-patches. Léo, can you send them to
> guix-patches in the future?
>
> Sometimes it is okay to update things in a graft, but it depends on
> the
> situation.

1.4.4 and 1.4.9 are ABI compatible? At least that's the reason I
believed it wasnt risky. I can send them to the mailing list especially
with such a core package (GNU Guix dependency). But often it stays
there and no one is looking so. E.g. the unzip vulnerability patches,
nobody looked until I actually pushed them out of waiting for reviews,
I tried to hint multiple people on IRC during several days, no answer
still, so I ended up pushing it, turns out I had several mistakes in it
and because it was pushed well some people looked at it and helped
fixing which was welcome.