guix-devel

Re: guix environment --profile with --ad-hoc

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix environment --profile with --ad-hoc
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 10:25:17 +0100

Hi Lars.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 08:59, Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> wrote:

>> Instead, I'd like the following behaviour:
>> […]
> hm, I feel that’s unnecessarly complex with lots of if’s and else’s. If
> I could design the frontend from scratch, I’d have one command that does
> profile/environment manipulation (because they’re essentially the same)
> and one that can set them up for use. In that world you’d do
>
> $ guix environment $(guix profile -m manifest.scm -i additional-package)

For the record, such command (as “profile manager”) had been discussed,
for example:

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-10/msg00613.html>
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-11/msg00019.html>
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-04/msg00477.html>

Note that the (still experimental and) undocumented GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH
allows to test new commands design without writing them in stone.
Basically, set the variable GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATH to the path containing
the Guix module ’(guix extensions profile)’ then “guix help” should list
the extension and “guix profile” should work.

Cheers,
simon