guix-devel

Re: Search improvements (Was: Opposition to new single-letter package na

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Search improvements (Was: Opposition to new single-letter package name "t")
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 17:18:38 +0100

Taylan,

Taylan Kammer 写道:
This discussion made me realize that "guix search" might benefit from the following improvement though: I think the relevance score for a search result should be increased significantly if the searched word is a standalone (not substring) part of a package's name when the name is
split into dash-separated words.

Thanks for remembering ‘guix search’! It didn't occur to me at all.

For most upstreams whether or not dashes were in vogue[0] when they named their project is literally arbitrary. We'd penalise many other packages like texlive-todonotes, open{ssh,vpn,*}, ktexteditor, r-performanceanalytics, qutebrowser, ... It's not a net win.

If I might pet my own peeve, I think clever heuristics appear necessary in part because %package-metrics grossly overscores package names. Rank them *below* synopsis & description--which will contain the name anyway--with a metric of 1, maybe 2. Enough to keep the relevant stuff above the irrelevant stuff (python- > ruby-, etc.) without distorting things as they do now.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: Not a joke.