guix-devel

Re: PowerShell core?

From: Nicolò Balzarotti
Subject: Re: PowerShell core?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 21:27:29 +0100

Hi,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

>> I was really wondering what was happening here.  I mean, we are talking
>> about a M$ product, right?  I really can't see how this statement can
>> hold true.  If it means "when I'm _forced_ to work on windows,
>> powershell is the lest worse thing", then fine.  But I don't get how
>> having it available in guix would help then.
>
> I understand that there may be an atmosphere of suspicion regarding
> Microsoft within a GNU project, but we should really try to give a
> more charitable interpretation to messages on the Guix mailing lists,
> especially if we aren't sure what the sender meant.

Sure, that's why at the end of the message I replied with what, to my
understanding, are inclusion criteria for guix (and why I said that,
except for analytics, it is probably ok for it to be included).

> Remember, Yasu will read your replies, too.
I hope so, that's the base of communication.  If my message seemed
harsh, I'm really sorry about it.  I was not attacking neither Yasu nor
the software (if powershell is cool, freedom respecting and libre, then
let's add it).  But still, a sane level of suspicion against Microsoft
itself is due.

I just felt it was not ok to talk about "IT worker rights", referring to
a product by a company that is and always has been so hostile with us, a
company that does everything to take away our rights (that's why I asked
clarifications on this point).

I'll be more careful with my wordings,
@Yasu: I'm sorry if you felt attacked or something, my fault