guix-devel

Re: Questionable "cosmetic changes" commits

From: Raghav Gururajan
Subject: Re: Questionable "cosmetic changes" commits
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 07:07:03 +0000

Hi Bengt!

> ┌──────────────────────────────┐
> │ "So I removed the comments." │
> └──────────────────────────────┘
> Raghav, I think you may not grok the social signalling of a statement like
> that :)

My apologies! I didn't mean that with a negative connotation.

> It sounds like you are overlooking the _social_ need for consensus
> in modifying a shared environment.
>
> Taking a picture off the wall of a shared living room is different
> from taking the same picture off the wall in your private room.
>
> A git commit in a jointly developed FLOSS project is modifying a shared
> living room.
> (But do what you like in your own git repo ;-)
>
> The social aspect is not about the technical merits of of your changes,
> it's about the difference between joint ownership and private ownership,
> and the differences in exercising owner rights.

I understand. When the patch was in the mail-list for a while, I assumed folks
were okay with the changes. I am glad that Mark shared the concerns. This gave
me an opportunity to be in consensus with others. :-)

I will be changing my work-flow to prevent this issue from happening again.

Regards,
RG.