guix-devel

Re: Questionable "cosmetic changes" commits

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: Re: Questionable "cosmetic changes" commits
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 20:13:56 +0000

Hi Mark!

On December 2, 2020, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
We all have our own personal preferences of how best to indent scheme
code, but if more of us adopted the habit of needlessly reordering
fields and reindenting code of every package we touch, as one of us
seems to have done, it could get out of hand quickly.

I don't particularly hold any opinion about stylistic commits except that I prefer tools like gofmt, Python's Black and standard.js which enforce uniform code style, and would use such a tool for my Guile code if it exists.

I do think it's important to acknowledge that the commits written by Raghav were part of his internship and advised by his mentors who signed off on the commits, so it's not like these changes were unsolicited and materialized out of nowhere.