guix-devel

Re: Updating to latest Bioconductor release

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: Updating to latest Bioconductor release
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 10:16:44 +0100

On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 22:13 +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Right, so I shouldn't have pushed to "wip-r" in the first place.
> >
> > Well, I think it is a lack of synchronisation between all of 3;
> > especially with this work around via external GitHub upstream.
>
> Yeah, sorry.  I didn’t realize wip-r was worked on by any one other than
> simon and myself.  The commits are still there, they just don’t have a
> named pointer (= branch) to them any longer:
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?id=8ed6a08a998d4abd58eb67c85699f38f87f76d05
>
> If that’s the last commit (or if you have another one that was pushed) I
> can simply reset the branch pointer to it and then stay out of it :)

This is the most recent commit I pushed:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?id=ea92cec586893748b6de32b930117c598225c38c

It'd be great if you could reset the branch pointer! :)

> > > Perhaps I should do it "the old way" and base my patches on the master
> > > branch and send the gazillion patches to the mailing list. :)
> >
> > What Ricardo did previously (my rewrite of history on Nov. 10 on
> > GitHub, and then pushed by Ricardo to Savannah today), quoting their
> > word: "delete origin/wip-r, reset my local copy to zimoun/wip-r,
> > rebased on top of origin/master, and pushed origin/wip-r".  Maybe you
> > could do the same.
> >
> > Or if you have the super power to do that: you can delete the branch
> > and re-push.
>
> Deleting the branch is “git push -d origin wip-r”.
>
> > > Then we can discuss each line of the commit messages separately before
> > > pushing to the master branch.
> >
> > Well, I do not know what Ricardo thinks, but personally I would prefer
> > first a wip-r branch then merge.  It will avoid avoid annoyance of
> > possible broken packages, I mean we could detect them.
>
> Same.  I prefer having a branch so ci.guix.gnu.org can build things and
> we can keep an eye on the fall-out (if any).

On IRC you noted that the commit messages are wrong.  I interpret that as "my
commit messages are wrong", which I guess will be those where I updated the
inputs of packages.  Could you tell me how I need to format the commit messages?
Then I can perhaps rewrite the most recent history of the wip-r branch to fix my
commit messages.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen