guix-devel

Re: Release: Docker Image? DockerHub? skopeo?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Release: Docker Image? DockerHub? skopeo?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 10:21:16 +0100

Hi Danny,

Thank you for the explanations.  Make sense. :-)

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 20:23, Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org>
wrote:

> No, I don't use docker that much--and when I do, it's to run simple images
> others have created.  So I just really don't know how this is supposed to
> be set up.  I mean there has to be a way to set this up--that is one of the
> first things anyone would need--shared /tmp, /etc/passwd, /etc/group,
> /etc/services and so on.  The parts that are composed together by Docker have
> to negotiate a common version of those, right?

I don’t use Docker that much neither–and when I do it’s to create
somehow Docker images via “guix pack -f docker” and run somehow this
simple image.  Well, I have never read cover-to-cover the Docker doc,
for example. :-)

> I hope that others will chime in explaining what the standard way to do this
> is.  The workaround above *does* work, though (and is the wrong thing to do).

Let’s postpone this Docker image work and start a new fresh thread once
v1.2.0 is published and the goal to have something for v1.3.0, well
that’s my point of view.

Cheers,
simon