guix-devel

Re: Release: Docker Image? DockerHub? skopeo?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Release: Docker Image? DockerHub? skopeo?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 18:30:57 +0100

Hi Danny,

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 17:31, Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org>
wrote:

>> Wow!  The image is huge:
>>
>> 5.23GB registry.gitlab.com/daym/guix-on-docker latest 884b4a4ddf61
>>
>> Is it expected?
>
> Yes, because Docker is silly.  It will continue to grow.

Oh, bad news!  5.23GB is already too much.

> It should be better when you use an external volume as /gnu/store and
> /var/guix.
>
><https://yhetil.org/guix-user/CAKjnHz1X26QhPEWZfOmAbEmZHQA1qdU_Dq7U6kVXUqG7vCvuhw@mail.gmail.com>

Well, from the thread above, you be interested by the Chris’s message:

   <https://yhetil.org/guix-user/87h7vyxqrz.fsf@gmail.com/>

>> Hum, as in the other message, I am sure I am missing the obvious with
>> Docker options.
>
> Yeah, someone needs to create /tmp.  That someone is not Guix (it
> would be weird).

Created where?  Because /tmp is obviously on the host machine. :-)

If with the container:

docker exec guix mkdir -h
OCI runtime exec failed: exec failed: container_linux.go:349: starting
container process caused "exec: \"mkdir\": executable file not found in $PATH":
unknown

Sorry to be so naive.

> /tmp is a common directory, so it does not belong to any of the parts that
> have been composed, or maybe there should be a standard "/tmp" part?
>
> Is there such a standard "/tmp" part in Docker-land?
>
> Similarly, but worse, with /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/services and so on.

I do not know.

>> Currently, it builds master, right?  I have not looked but do you think
>> it could possible to track the both branches master and version-1.x.y?
>
> Yes, right now it builds current master.
>
> Sure, could easily make it do both.

Cool!  Thanks.

Cheers,
simon