guix-devel

Re: Release: Docker Image? DockerHub? skopeo?

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: Release: Docker Image? DockerHub? skopeo?
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 14:44:18 +0100

Hello,

> Some days ago, we discussed on #guix about releasing Docker images
> ready-to-use.  And you pointed your project:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/daym/guix-on-docker/

[snip]

> Fourth question for Jelle: do you have time to add examples to the
> Cookbook using the package ’skopeo’?  If not, who could?

I was actually putting that on the back burner for now, as I felt I
first needed some time to understand Danny's `guix-on-docker' better in
order for the skopeo stuff to warrant a cookbook section. The entire
workflow as I use it now can be summarized by the following three-liner:

REGISTRY_IMAGE=registry.gitlab.com/group/project
IMG=$(guix pack --save-provenance -f docker --entry-point=bin/hello hello)
skopeo copy --dest-creds USERNAME[:PASSWORD] \
   "docker-archive://$IMG" \
   "docker://${REGISTRY_IMAGE}:latest"

> This is a follow-up to the thread, started here [1] and arguments about
> DockerHub and co. there [2] and Ludo’s comments [3].

Our timing is pretty bad here, as Dockerhub updated some of their
policies only two days ago regarding usage limits for both 'anonymous'
and free tier registered users [4].

> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-09/msg00212.html
> 2: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00352.html
> 3: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00352.html