guix-devel

Re: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Releasing guix binary in Docker format too?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 17:38:09 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 19:30:44 +0100
zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ docker exec guix guix pack hello
> user with UID 0 not found

Docker needs to generate a /etc/passwd with uid 0 and the guix build user
accounts, and a /etc/group with the guixbuild group; and whatever other users
the things that are composed together using docker compose[1] require.  How
does this work in Docker-land ?

> substitute: guix substitute: warning: ACL for archive imports seems to be
> uninitialized, substitutes may be unavailable

We need to configure substitute server acls (/etc/guix/acl).  So this one is
totally our fault.

> substitute: guix substitute: warning: ci.guix.gnu.org: host not found:
> Servname not supported for ai_socktype

Docker needs to generate /etc/services with a union of the required services of
all the things that are composed together using docker compose.

All in all, these are all obvious things which guix-on-docker already works
around (I don't know the official way that surely exists--hence the
workarounds).

The question is: since Docker supports composition[1], how do they handle this
standard case ?  How can we get Docker to generate /etc/services, /etc/passwd
and /etc/group for the composed docker image ?

> BTW, the tool skopeo failed in the branch version-1.2.0 as ’weather’
> confirms.  Therefore the Cookbook recipe will be for the next release.

(I can't help with skopeo, never used it before)

[1] https://docs.docker.com/compose/