guix-devel

Re: Make guix-publish's URL identical to cache file name

From: Peng Mei Yu
Subject: Re: Make guix-publish's URL identical to cache file name
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 09:55:02 +0800

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Brielmaier writes:

> I'm running myself a smaller cuirass+publish server and I have
> configured the caching on the nginx side and not with `guix publish`.
>
> So my cache resides in:
> /var/cache/nginx/nar/
>
> For me it has a dramatic speed up on my German server reaching from
> Germany. So 2-3MB/s on a cold cache hit versus a hot cache with 15MB/s
> and even more.
>
> Maybe you can give that a try. I'm not sure if it does help as you said
> you are a bit limited by the bandwidth...

I am perfectly fine with any method to setup a mirror site.  But the
academic mirror sites I am talking about only want a simple approach.
They want to pull files with rsync, rclone, or FTP and serve files with
static HTTP server.  If we make Guix's mirror as simple as that, I am
confident I can persuade more mirror sites to support Guix.

> On 04.11.20 09:46, Peng Mei Yu wrote:
>> I have to decide next year's server specs and budget for
>> mirror.guix.org.cn before the Chinese shopping festival ends on November
>> 11.  If the proposal above is doable, I will keep mirror.guix.org.cn
>> running for half a year and help academic mirror sites add support for
>> Guix in the meantime.  Otherwise I prefer to buy a prepaid three years
>> VPS with a 90% discount during the shopping festival.  The discount is
>> huge.  I don't want to miss it.
>
> I think we should discuss if Guix can support your effort money wise.
> AFAIK we have decent fundings available.

That would be great.  Although I still think letting academic mirror
sites do the job and saving the money would be better.  As I said, the
ISP cost in China is expensive and academic mirror sites have plenty of
bandwidth and storage resources available.

--
Peng Mei Yu