guix-devel

Re: Make guix-publish's URL identical to cache file name

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: Make guix-publish's URL identical to cache file name
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 13:01:04 +0100

Hi Peng Mei Yu,

first of all a big thank you for making the Guix experience in China
much nicer!

I'm running myself a smaller cuirass+publish server and I have
configured the caching on the nginx side and not with `guix publish`.

So my cache resides in:
/var/cache/nginx/nar/

For me it has a dramatic speed up on my German server reaching from
Germany. So 2-3MB/s on a cold cache hit versus a hot cache with 15MB/s
and even more.

Maybe you can give that a try. I'm not sure if it does help as you said
you are a bit limited by the bandwidth...

On 04.11.20 09:46, Peng Mei Yu wrote:
> I have to decide next year's server specs and budget for
> mirror.guix.org.cn before the Chinese shopping festival ends on November
> 11.  If the proposal above is doable, I will keep mirror.guix.org.cn
> running for half a year and help academic mirror sites add support for
> Guix in the meantime.  Otherwise I prefer to buy a prepaid three years
> VPS with a 90% discount during the shopping festival.  The discount is
> huge.  I don't want to miss it.

I think we should discuss if Guix can support your effort money wise.
AFAIK we have decent fundings available.

~Jonathan