guix-devel

Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)

From: Bengt Richter
Subject: Re: emacs-lucid (was Re: Emacs closure at ~900MB?)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 21:16:29 +0200

Hi Simon,

On +2020-09-28 10:56:55 +0200, zimoun wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 at 12:54, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
>
> > Just tested, EXWM works with emacs-no-x-toolkit!
>
> Cool!
>

> > So I suggest we add the following packages:
> >
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > (define-public emacs-no-x-toolkit-xelb
> >    (package
> >      (inherit emacs-xelb)
> >      (name "emacs-no-x-toolkit-xelb")
>
> [...]
>
> > (define-public emacs-no-x-toolkit-exwm
> >    (package
> >      (inherit emacs-exwm)
> >      (name "emacs-no-x-toolkit-exwm")
>
> It appears to me more logical to name it: emacs-xelb-no-x-toolkit;
> appending the variation last.
>

> All the best,
> simon

I am wondering if there is a pure-wayland-client version of emacs, as discussed
here[1]
A debian emacs-nox appears to exist [2]

On my system, apt show emacs-nox tells me
 GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text editor.  This
 package contains a version of Emacs compiled without support for X,
 and provides only a text terminal interface.

IIUC, wayland gets input events like keystrokes from the kernel and sends them
by
registered call-backs to the programs that thus registered interest.

But I wonder how this connects with emacs and its use of pts/ptmx, readline,
etc ...
Is there a legacy layer of vt encoding/decoding that could be eliminated by a
more
direct use of wayland protocol?

Perhaps such an emacs package could have a smaller closure,
by depending as simply as possible on wayland (sans Xwayland)?

If the low level stuff were wrapped nicely in some guile extension modules,
I suspect other uses than emacs would be found.

[1]
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/48561/is-there-an-x11-free-build-of-emacs-that-can-run-on-wayland-not-going-through-x
[2] https://packages.debian.org/sid/emacs-nox
--