guix-devel

Re: File search progress: database review and question on triggers

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: File search progress: database review and question on triggers
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 19:58:11 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> I’m not suggesting to use updatedb, but I think it can be instructive to
>> look at how the file database is implemented there.  We don’t have to
>> use SQlite if it is much slower and heavier than a custom inverted
>
> Good call, I'll benchmark against an inverted index.
>
> Some cost may also be induced by the Guix store queries, not sure if we
> can optimize these.

With an s-exp based file, or a trivial text-based format, the downside
is that it needs a bit of extra work to only load select entries,
e.g. just the entries matching a specific Guix version.

Would you happen to know a serialization library that allows for loading
only a select portion of a file?

Otherwise a trivial workaround would be to persist one index file per
Guix generation.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/