guix-devel

Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 10:08:16 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 at 17:24, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> I think there were several issues we discussed:
>
>   1. We can only approximate that actual profile content; storing
>      an approximate ‘manifest.scm’ along with the profile would IMO be
>      deceptive.
>
>   2. It’s easy to maintain compatibility over a data format, but it’s
>      much harder to maintain compatibility for code.
>
> I think we discussed these issues the best we could in the megathread,
> so I’m personally in favor of moving forward in a pragmatic way.

By pragmatic way, you mean:

 - let the format of <profile>/manifest as it is,
 - write '--export-manifest' as an approximation

right?

Well, I personally changed my workflow and now I always use manifest
files.  And the situation that I described in the manifest about the
"Working Scientific" doing install, pull, install, pull, remove,
install, etc. is rooted in bad practises, so it should be avoided.

Therefore, I agree that '--export-manifest' is the right approach, as an
helping tool; too bad for some corner cases. :-)

All the best,
simon