guix-devel

Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Using --manfistest with <profile>/manifest files
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 12:17:25 +0200

Hi,

Indeed, that was discussed at length but we still need to reach a
consensus :)

I personally disagree with the --export-manifest suggestion (which may
be one of the reasons why this is stalling :p).

Links to the related discussions (lots to read in there!):

- Store channel specification in profile:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-11/msg00464.html

  In particular, from there:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-02/msg00047.html

While I'm at it, Ludo, if you want to continue the discussion, we've
left it on Feb 25th with this question from me to you:

> I didn't understand from your previous message which downside you find
> to embedding the specifications.scm file.  It would save efforts to the
> user and be more systematic, in the sense that it gives a guarantee to
> the user that a specifications.scm corresponds to a profile.  This last
> point, I believe, is crucial.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt