guix-devel

Re: Hyperlinks!

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Hyperlinks!
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 16:22:48 +0000

 ---- On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:58:42 +0000 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote
----
 > Hello Guix!
 >
 > Scheme code snippets in the on-line manual now have hyperlinks for all
 > the symbols documented in the manual:
 >

 > https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html
 >   https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html
 >
 > Hyperlinks are such an amazing invention!

That's great.

 > (If anyone knows how to get ‘a.syntax-symbol’ CSS different from just
 > ‘a’, I’m all ears!)

I think to style links you should be using the pseudo classes like ":link",
":hover", ":visited", etc. So, for example:

a.syntax-symbol:link {
    color: black;
}

If I understand correctly, that should work.

 > This is happening in ‘doc/build.scm’ as a post-processing step on the
 > makeinfo-generated HTML (along with the syntax-highlighting
 > post-processing step).  It works well but there can be false positives
 > because it matches on identifiers, without taking scope etc. into
 > account—e.g., anytime “service” appears, it’ll link to the ‘service’
 > procedure.

I still don't understand why Texinfo doesn't provide syntax for allowing the
HTML exporter to do that... Something like a @codeblock that accepts a language
argument...