guix-devel

Re: good practices in science

From: Bengt Richter
Subject: Re: good practices in science
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 20:51:21 +0200

Hi Konrad,

On +2020-04-06 17:09:14 +0200, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> > I had never heard about this project, looks like it's a most critical
> > venture these days! :)
> >
> > https://underlay.mit.edu/
> >
> > Any idea if there is a public project page?
>
> My understanding is that the project just started and hasn't much to
> show for now. It's on my "have-a-look-every-three-months" list.
>
> The real question with this type of infrastructure project is if it will
> produce something convincing enough for many players to adhere to. It's
> as much politics as technology.

That sounds sad. Maybe I got overexcited ;-/

(I guess I get excited reading prose that shows attention
to the distinction between abstractions and their representations.
Sort of like reading quotes from Plato, and thinking, "Hey, wow,
I've had some of those thoughts." :)

I hope they are not just preparing themselves for spinning off
and becoming rich as a monopolist takeover target ;-/

Or that they're looking forward to being raided by offers
of signing bonuses and a playground with expensive toys,
just to keep their competition out of the market.

Or that they'll be disrupted by metoo accusations.

So what makes you hopeful about guix? :)

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter