guix-devel

Re: Adding a %desktop-packages

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: Adding a %desktop-packages
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 17:22:44 -0700

Hi there,

I am on board with providing some predefined lists of packages.

I raised the idea of providing smaller lists of packages that might go
well together instead of one large %desktop-packages. One reason to do
this, for instance, might be to not make someone who wants to use btrfs
always import the ext4 packages. Or not lock someone into using nettools
if they are using iproute2, etc.

Similarly, I think that many users, myself included, use a manifest file
to manage user packages. It would help to have finer grained
package lists so that the manifests could reuse them and not be
requiring system basics along with it.

What do you think?

- John