guix-devel

Re: Proxy settings wrt guix daemon

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: Proxy settings wrt guix daemon
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 00:29:10 +0200

Hello,

thanks for the help, but...

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 5:26 PM Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was proposing a custom action for the Shepherd service, just like the
> mcron Shepherd service has a custom ‘schedule’ action that one can
> invoke with “herd schedule mcron”.
>
> Hope that’s clearer!

I've found the shepherd-schedule-action code, but that does not tell me
how to implement the whole thing.

Let me try harder, the following are all questions.
I do not know if they make any sense at all...

How do I make the running daemon use a proxy ?
By doing setenv() calls in builtins.cc builtinDownload()
before the execv(guix perform-download) ?

How do I make the running daemon know which proxy to use ?
By getting it from the settings object from globals.hh ?

How do I make the running daemon change the value stored
in the settings object ?
By sending it an order to do so via the listening socket ?

What will send this order through that socket ?
Another, one-shot, ephemeral, guix-daemon process with
the --set-proxy command-line option ?

What is the UI to run that guix-daemon --set-proxy ?
Use herd set-proxy guix-daemon "https://proxy:3128"; ?
(Like what is done for mcron)

I really need a few "make this thing here do that" hints...

And then also a bit of a hint on how I would test the
modifications without risking my running system.

I hope that's not too demanding...

Thanks

--
Vincent Legoll