guix-devel

Re: Package file indexing

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Package file indexing
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 17:59:25 +0100

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 at 16:38, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I am looking for the file gmsh.h and I do not know nothing more.

> guix search /gmsh.h
>
> would work.  You don't need the full path.

I do not like because it is not meaningful. It appears to me more
confusing than the rare case of "file:file:". ;-)

> > I know nothing about the path of the file ieee*.sty and it does not
> > belong to the package gmsh.
>
> I don't understand what you are trying to search.  Is it the 'bin/gmsh'
> file or the files matching 'ieee*.sty'?

In this (virtual and non-sensical) example, I am looking for packages
that contains any file matching ieee*.sty *and* any file matching
"bin/gmsh" *and* any package that matches latex in its
name/synopsis/description.

I do not see why the both syntax can live together. To me, sometimes
"file:" is clearer, sometimes instead "/" is.

All the best,
simon