guix-devel

Re: Another update on the Guix Data Service

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Another update on the Guix Data Service
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 16:59:06 +0000

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> Channel news entries are recorded in the database, you can see all that
>> are present in a revision [3], but the comparison page should show new
>> news entries as well.
>>
>> 3:
>> http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/06c8e87224decebc0a3d5bdc7d2ca13cb2b08299/news
>
> Is there a link to the news page from
>
> http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/06c8e87224decebc0a3d5bdc7d2ca13cb2b08299
>
> ?

No, but there probably should be one.

>>  - Automated code review for Guix patches, which I was working on when I
>>    started working on the Guix Data Service, and most of the
>>    functionality can be beneficial there.
>
> Some time ago you did some work on Patchwork.
>
> https://patchwork.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/
>
> I haven't followed very closely, so I wonder what your plans are
> regarding patchwork and Guix Data Service.

So I'd like to resurrect my slightly clunky but somewhat working
Patchwork + Laminar + Git repo + Guix Data Service (+ Cuirass?) setup
for testing patches.

Here, the Guix Data Service would process the Guix revision with the
patches under test having been applied. This would reveal the lint
warning changes. It would also reveal the new derivations, which can be
built to check what the effect of the patches are.

> Last, is there any documentation on how to _use_ it?  (I don't mean the
> setup.)

So the only documentation currently is the README file, which is
available at http://data.guix.gnu.org/README . I haven't considered
writing standalone documentation yet, but I have been considering
incorporating more in to the web interface.

Is there a specific thing you're interested in/unsure about?

Chris