guix-devel

Re: Package file indexing

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Package file indexing
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 14:01:00 +0100

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> The syntax '/' should be an option but not the only one, IMHO. We can imagine:
>
>  - guix search file:gmsh.h gimp
>  - guix search bin/gmsh gimp
>  - guix search file:ieee*.sty bin/gmsh latex
>  - guix search file:bin/gmsh
>  - guix search package:gimp
> etc.
>

>> To avoid confusion, I think this should be an option/subcommand of
>> search. Something like -path and -name in find(1).
>
> I agree that explicit keywords, e.g., "file:" and "package:", avoid confusion.

I disagree.  What about matching a path which contains "file:" or
"package:"?  Then you end up with confusing commands.

Using "/" as a filter makes sense because it's the only character that's
not allowed in filenames (with \0) and it's safe to assume that it's not
useful to match against "/" in description / synopsis.

Simon, regarding your examples:

>  - guix search bin/gmsh gimp
>  - guix search file:ieee*.sty bin/gmsh latex
>  - guix search file:bin/gmsh

why mixing both the "file:" prefix and the "/"?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/