guix-devel

Re: [Proposal] The Formal Methods in GNU Guix Working Group

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Proposal] The Formal Methods in GNU Guix Working Group
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 23:11:57 +0100

Hello!

(Cc: maintainers.)

Brett Gilio <address@hidden> skribis:

> Dec 30, 2019 3:34:22 PM Ludovic Courtès :
>
>> Guix-HPC is “institutional”, that’s part of the reason behind this.
>> Regarding gitlab.inria.fr, that’s because it used to be hosted at Inria.
>> Also, is a channel developed
>> by colleagues at Inria, so it’s more convenient to have it there.
>

> Hey Ludo, thanks for the explanation.
>
> It makes sense why Guix-HPC lives somewhere else. Given this, what do you
> propose for initiating the conversation on where the formal methods haunt
> page should live with the other maintainers? I personally think the
> repository should live on Savannah, but the address needs to be discussed.

It’s fine to host the repo on Savannah: we can ask for a new repo under
the Guix umbrella, the downside being that access control will be the
same as for the other repos (we can only grant access to all the repos
or none of them.)  If you plan to open it more to formal methods people
that do not yet contribute to Guix, it might be easier to use a separate
repo.  You tell us!

As for the domain name: I think it would be fine to use
formal-methods.guix.gnu.org as long as the web site follows GNU and Guix
policy, which mostly means referring only to free software, avoiding the
phrase “open source” to describe it, and probably avoiding institution
logos and such (I don’t think there’s any written policy but I would
personally find it out of place on gnu.org.)  Anyway, the two of you are
webmasters so you probably know this better than I do.  IOW, if you want
to flatter your employers and labs, you might want to opt for a separate
web site.  :-)

Maintainers, what do you think?

Anyway, step #1 is to get a web page ready.  :-)

Ludo’.