guix-devel

Re: qtwenengine anybody?

From: mike . rosset
Subject: Re: qtwenengine anybody?
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 09:34:57 -0800

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Mike, have you tried building the package against ungoogled-chromium?
>
> Either way, I vote for including this package into Guix, it seems mature
> enough.
> We can open an issue to replace the bundled chromium with
> ungoogled-chromium if need be.

Sorry for the long delay on responding to this topic. I've been pretty
busy. I have done a cursory look at upstreamn ungoogled-chrome and then
started to reason what might need to be done to integrate this into
qtwebengine.

My conclusion is this is going to be way more work then the
benefits. And once this was achieved it still needs to be
maintained. Keep in mind QT already has a patch re base process with
changes that might conflict with ungoogled-chrome. I think the better
approach is to try and fix the in tree dependencies upstream. and let it
trick down to the guix declaration.

In a more ideal world I think QT and the ungogogled project should be
working together since there goals are much on par.

Though maybe given enough time and resources I could find an more ideal
way to solve this. Right now though I don't think I have the time or
resources.

Mike